Advertisement:

Author Topic: How to add Child Category under sub category in OSClass 2.3.3 [Solved]  (Read 9017 times)

yogs

Hi There,

Please help to solve this asap. I want add Child category under Sub Categories
Example: I have main category "For Sale" and under it there is Sub-Category "Dog" and now i want to add child category under "Dog" i.e. german shephard, pomerian, etc. but i am not able to add it via admin when i slide this child categories under "Dog" it's not work.

For Sale < Main category
  > Dogs < Sub-Category
      > Pomerian < Child-category i want to add this
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 03:58:19 pm by yogs »

Jesse

• Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes
Re: How to add Child Category under sub category in OSClass 2.3.3
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 12:23:31 pm »
OSClass currently does not support that feature. You can have a category and a subcategory, but that's it, no deeper.  :(

Although I've read it can be done with some work, perhaps there is someone who has done this already and can help you out further.

_CONEJO

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 12:33:49 pm »
Hi yogs,

This was answered quite a few times now. In theory you could do that right now, the problem is the way to show the information and the categories. So it's a style problem.

How do you reference to a sub-sub-category? for now, you have functions as osc_category_name() and osc_subcategory_name(), that will return the name of category and subcategory, so... we then should include a osc_subsubcategory_name() ? (plus one function for id, subcategories, item count,...) In that case... why stop at level 3 and not 4? include a osc_subsubsubcategory_name() !!!

Also, at the theme, we should care about every configuration, so we need to provide styles for an infinite number of levels for subcategories (something that could be difficult but could be done)

But we then should create an infinite number of loops to display each category, which I'm afraid it's not possible, we need to stop at some level we thought that 2 levels is ok for most of the people, and that a third level adds too much complexity to helpers functions and themes to be worth it.

yogs

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 12:51:22 pm »
Thanks for the reply Jesse :)

hope this feature will be added soon in next release

yogs

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 03:59:20 pm »
Thanks _CONEJO, for describing it as i am not developer so it is quiet useful for me, i'll try this method on my site and if hopefully :-\ i'll success defiantly post here so may be i'll helpful for someone else. and one again Thanks for such a best script and this is one of the best & fast replying forum i've ever visited, keep it up guys.  :D

lynx

hello everyone, my main problem is that whenever I create a category and try to rearrange it theres an error popping up on the top saying "Ajax error, try again", no error code or anything, I already uninstalled OSclass and reinstalled several times. I am installing it on a subdomain. Yesterday I was trying it for the first time, on a fresh domain, but I decided to use that domain for something else, so I installed on a subdomain, does that have something to do? cuz the first installation was working really good.
If I'm just being a N00B please just point me to the right thread as I was looking for the same problem with Ajax and there's no thread focusing on this problem. Could be my server settings? I'm on share hosting, but so it was the other installation. Thank you all!  :o

bulldog5046

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 10:13:07 pm »
How do you reference to a sub-sub-category? for now, you have functions as osc_category_name() and osc_subcategory_name(), that will return the name of category and subcategory, so... we then should include a osc_subsubcategory_name() ? (plus one function for id, subcategories, item count,...) In that case... why stop at level 3 and not 4? include a osc_subsubsubcategory_name() !!!

Sorry to drag up an old topic but it seemed worth while as this is such a simple but important feature your software is lacking.

You've actually answered your own question regarding the naming for styling. stop calling them sub-categories and call them levels e.g osc_category_level0_name, osc_category_level1_name etc. etc...

Sorry for pointing something out that seems so obvious but it's driven me crazy seeing a nice product missing something so simple.

Regards,
Ryan

EDIT: a work-around may be to use the custom fields in the search criteria. i presume this should be pretty easy to add in?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 10:43:07 pm by bulldog5046 »

joseaguerrero

Re: How to add Child Category under sub category in OSClass 2.3.3 [Solved]
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 03:24:52 pm »
Same here, i think is very important have some levels... i must to change my project cause there isn't more levels, its a pity...
You are doing a great job with this CMS, but levels is very important always on them (wordpress, joomla, etc, all of them use multilevels, check them to understand how they work)...  ;)

zapata

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 05:10:53 am »
OSClass currently does not support that feature. You can have a category and a subcategory, but that's it, no deeper.  :(

Although I've read it can be done with some work, perhaps there is someone who has done this already and can help you out further.

how to add new subcategory. I did reada lot of forum message but I could not resolve

hrapet

Re: How to add Child Category under sub category in OSClass 2.3.3 [Solved]
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 05:54:59 pm »
As far as I found out things work ok if you just add the ParentID in the DB-Table ... only thing that bothers me is no correct Breadcrumbtrail and uncorrect display in User-Screen.
Admin-Screens don't work at all for Sub.-Sub-categories ... but it's ok as long as you chane those things on the DB.
Otherwise things look as if they work fine.
Anyone solved the display problems?

vkt005

Hi All,
If some found crack to ad nested subcategory please share it or tell how to add in osclasses

alvarofg

I'm new to osclass, but already ran into the problem of this subcategories, as I am requiring at least 3 levels (didn't notice the limitation until I started building my categories from scratch.

I haven't look at the code (or at lease not toughly, since I don't know much PHP), but I wonder if there is room for more general functions that take the level as a parameter, something like osc_category_name(lvl, ...)? (my 1 & 1/2 cents)

mp007

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2015, 02:37:29 pm »
Hi yogs,

This was answered quite a few times now. In theory you could do that right now, the problem is the way to show the information and the categories. So it's a style problem.

Also, at the theme, we should care about every configuration, so we need to provide styles for an infinite number of levels for subcategories (something that could be difficult but could be done)

But we then should create an infinite number of loops to display each category, which I'm afraid it's not possible, we need to stop at some level we thought that 2 levels is ok for most of the people, and that a third level adds too much complexity to helpers functions and themes to be worth it.

Hello Conejo,

Please, how we can resolve this?

Thanks